In Memory

Judy McBride (McAuley)

Judy McBride (McAuley)

Judith Eileen McBride McCauley, 51, died March 6, 2000, in Colorado Springs, CO. Visitation with family present will be 5-7 p.m. Thursday, March 9, at Swan Law Funeral Home, 501 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado Springs, CO. In lieu of flowers, Judith requested that memorials be sent to the Scholarship Fund for Youth Camps, c/o First Presbyterian Church, 219 Bijou, Colorado Springs, CO 80903.  Judith was born in Providence, RI, on December 30, 1948.

Provided by Karen Lyerla

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

03/28/16 04:02 PM #1    

Frank Patton

Sad that the obituary did not provide any other family or life details.  Judy was my first love, my first steady, and virtually all of the written comments from classmates in my junior year yearbook mentioned Judy.  Guess we were quite a number! I heard a couple of years ago that she may have been a victim of breast cancer. I lost my own mother to breast cancer and have a sister, Mary (Pat), a member of the Viking Class of '65, who is a two-time and 25-year breast cancer survivor. So this news hits me doubly hard.

I have always remembered you Judy!

04/01/16 10:54 AM #2    

Bob Bridgman

I believe she was director of financial aid at Vanderbilt University but I'm not sure if that was her last job.

04/05/16 10:08 PM #3    

Cindy Kreuzberger (Craft)

Judy was my best friend in high school, freshman roommate at KU, and sorority sister the next three years. She graduated with a degree in education.   After college she married Charley McCauley, who she met at KU Music and Art Camp while she was in high school.  They stayed in Lawrence until he got his PhD.  While in Lawrence, Judy worked for KU in administration. From Lawrence she and Charliey moved to Nashville. Charlley joined the psychology department at Vanderbilt and Judy worked in Admissions.  I think she may have been Dean or Associate Dean of Admissions. (Sometimes it's dangerous to trust my memory, however!)  After many years in academia, they moved to Colorado Springs and began a new life in the Rocky Mountains. They owned a series of businesses,, the last of which may have been a sporting goods store.  They had a daughter and son.  They were the perfect family until Judy was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 48.  After weighing the options for her best survival chances, she went through the painful stem cell transplant process.  She survived, was proclaimed to be cancer-free, started a new job and was looking forward to her daughter's high school graduation.  Seven months after the transplant she went to the hospital with a blinding headache.  She never left.  The cancer had metastasized to her brain and we lost a wonderful wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend.  She was barely 50. Although we lived miles apart, I always felt a special bond with Judy and still do.   


go to top 
  Post Comment